One night, police found the body of a man in his fifties who has been brutally murdered in West London. This is Charlie Staniland, writer
unemployment and alcoholic, who has lost everything from his wife and daughter to his own dignity. The progress in research is almost nil and the "best minds" of the department will consider a lost cause. A detective (unnamed) of the Department of unexplained deaths will to find the murderers and to pay a high price for the death of Charlie. Based only on tapes that recorded the deceased and some writing which reflects what it means to be trapped in failure and the possibility of deliverance from death, the detective is forced to dive into a sub-heinous and violent world to end nearly sinking. Staniland's life becomes a real obsession and do not stop until the perpetrators behind bars.
* Publication: 2009 * Pages: 288 * Price: 15.00 * ISBN: 9788493662790 * 1 ยบ Cap
Review ...
a funny thing happens to me with the book. Well let me a strange feeling, or is it better to say a strange feeling, when I read the first pages of "He died with his eyes open" My first impression was how well it is written (and translated) and curiously the style of Derek Raybond at first reminded me of Hugh Laurie in his book "One night dogs" but as it progressed I realized that I was wrong. Since the book by Laurie (House) is much, much, much more fun, fast and fun to read, because although the style of narration is similar enough, or unless I have given that impression, the pace is much faster.
died with his eyes open has a pace slow, very slow, so slow that I admit I have left out several times as more and could not be saved only by being very well written, if not ... I had stopped altogether. That's the only flaw I see in the book, but unfortunately it's a bug in my opinion a little fat. I understand that our hero has to find, collect all the tracks to reach a conclusion, but the book does not really have hooked up their final 50 pages (or maybe less) when things get really interesting.
Despite the pace
slow the book is written a great way, our unnamed protagonist is a detective Department of unexplained deaths of Scottland Yard investigating the case of Charlie Staniland whose death would have been that of an ordinary man but Our detective soon discover all that is behind this man (past, loves, family ...) thanks to some recordings that the decedent left before he died and to help in the case, but at the same time will lead to question their own existence.
All characters displayed in the novel are linked to our victim in one way or another, as the depth with us "in" on his life and his mind is incredible. We get to know both their past, their relationships with other characters and why it has come to be so brutally murdered because it is an ordinary man. dialogues are good, really good. Our detective is clever and is able to get whatever information by any means but it all gets confusing when there is a woman, a woman who is part of Charlie's past. But getting a little to the plot , a little predictable, a bit too predictable as the possible murderer at the bottom give us clues, many clues. I say at the bottom because I had not realized it until I finished, but I figured, who the hell was suspected of but not the motive of his act, but as happens in these books, the reason is often too predictable, but honestly, I did not expect that and if you want to know what you say simply read. I do not usually read these books for one simple reason for me are somewhat predictable and boring (at least those who have read or tried to end) and I've died a little disappointed with his eyes open because I was expecting something much more large plot. But ... I can say that is saved by the style, great characters and some dialogue.
My final conclusion died with open eyes is ...
died with open eyes is a novel of great narrative style and a character full of mystery and charm as they do not know his name but with a plot a bit poor and a slow pace.some research on the author found some information that I found interesting
died with open eyes is the first installment of the series factory, consisting of five titles, all forthcoming in Amber Black Collection: died with open eyes (January 2009); The devil comes home (July 2009) How the dead live (January 2010); I was Dora Suarez (July 2010) and The dead man sitting (January 2011). This police procedural series is narrated by a nameless protagonist, a sergeant in the London Police Department specializes in unexplained deaths, also known as A14. This department handles murders in the slums, in contrast to homicide investigations conducted by the elite division of Scotland Yard.
About the author ...
Son of good family, after having studied at Eton, he broke with his environment and rejected the bourgeois England. Man breaks, rebellious, adventurous, was, throughout his life, dealer, salesman pornographic photos, journalist, taxi driver, vintner in Italy and a farm worker in France, where he settled in 1974. Up came to be in a English prison for a bar harangue against Franco. He published his first novel in 1962 and over 30 years has published a dozen books. He has made the rawness of his novels that explore the darkest funds of the human soul. Two of his works, the months of April are murderers and living as the dead were brought to the big screen.
Other titles Series ...
Thanks to Amber Editorial of the copy.
0 comments:
Post a Comment